Transgenderism in Alberta Could Put Children at Risk
On January 13th, Alberta’s Education Minister David Eggen released a document outlining transgender policies that all of the province’s schools must adopt by March 31st; its stated purpose being to protect the safety of transgendered students. In doing so, however, many feel the inherent dangers to other students and parents are being overlooked.
The entire document embraces the idea that self-identification is the sole measure of an individual’s gender and sexual orientation. Its implications include young female students being forced to share a washroom or change room with a boy who “identifies” as female. Critics see this as a very real safety vulnerability that could be exploited by s-xual predators posing as transgender.
Also, under the new policies, students can choose their own pronoun, play for boys or girls teams, use the bathroom or change room of their choice, and establish gay-straight alliances. The guidelines also demand that school administrators must obtain explicit permission from students before disclosing information related to sexual orientation or identity to his or her parents.
Catholic schools are not exempt from the changes announced without their consultation, and bishops have responded by taking an unprecedented stand of protest against the government. Catholic schools, however, have in turn created their own watershed moment in defying their religious leaders and moving forward with the proposed changes.
"Mother" and "Father" at Risk
The Alberta Education guidelines document also states that the words “mother” and “father” should be removed from all school forms, websites, and letters, to make communications more “inclusive”. This type of ideological change also happened in Ontario this past week when lawmakers approved a motion to remove the same words, mother and father, from all government forms in order to “reflect the diverse nature” of Ontario families. The terms “parent” or “guardian" will now be used on government forms.
An Alberta mother's call to action: When parents lose rights, children are endangered: What You Can Do to Help
What You Can Do to Help
1) No matter what province you are from, please e-mail Alberta Minister of Education David Eggen to respectfully explain the dangers of the guidelines and to let him know that you are not in support. Click here for a template letter to David Eggen on this issue.
2) Please stand with Alberta's bishops against the school policy by signing this petition.
3) There are rumblings of similar policies breaking forth in provinces across the nation. Be proactive. Please contact your MLA (or MPP) to discourage these or similar guidelines. Click here to find your provincial member (MLA/MPP).
4) If you live in Ontario, please contact your MPP to express your concern over the removal of "mother" and "father" from government documents, suggesting instead the addition of the terms "parent" and "guardian". Click here to find your MPP by postal code now.
Ontario parents are also invited to participate in P.E.A.C.E Ontario's Webinar series on navigating the province's s-x education curriculum, beginning February 9th. Click here to sign up for the webinar now.
5) Please pray that our children would be protected from any physical abuses and ideological dangers they are facing in their school systems and that parental rights would also be protected.