MP Iqra Khalid's Motion 103 was reportedly scheduled for its 2nd hour of debate in April, but has been pushed up to the earlier date of March 21st - tomorrow. The vote is expected to take place shortly afterward.
Click here to read our February National Update on M-103.
Prior to the motion's first hour of debate last month, MP David Anderson put forward an opposition motion nearly identical to M-103. However, while M-103 mentions only the religion of Islam by name, Anderson's motion called for the House to "condemn all forms of systemic racism, religious intolerance, and discrimination of Muslims, Jews, Christians, Sikhs, Hindus, and other religious communities." Anderson also removed the undefined term "Islamophobia" from Khalid's M-103.
All 126 Conservative, NDP, and Green Party MPs voted in favour of MP David Anderson's motion, but every Liberal MP present voted against, leading to a final defeat vote of 126 for and 165 against.
MPs will be given opportunity to debate M-103 again tomorrow and voting will take place soon after.
Here's What You Can Do:
▪ Please pray for a spirit of love and unity to be poured out across Canada so that all Canadians would be and feel safe.
▪ Pray for MP Iqra Khalid, who has been the target of hate-mail and death threats because of her work on this motion.
▪ Pray that Christians would become known for their love for others, especially those in the Muslim community who may be fearful in the wake of the recent Quebec shooting.
▪ Pray for our government as they work to balance the protection of religious groups and the protection of the rights and freedoms of all Canadians. Pray that our leaders would govern Canada with wisdom.
2) CONTACT YOUR MP:
Please contact your MP today to let them know that it is in the interest of all Canadians to be able to freely discuss Islam and ask them to vote against M-103. Here are some talking points you may wish to use:
▪ Canadians of all faiths experience religious discrimination but M-103 identifies Muslims as deserving special protection.
*You supported MP David Anderson's opposition motion condemning discrimination against all religious groups.
▪ Canadians are already protected against hate speech and discrimination.
▪ Forum Research has found that only 14% of people support M-103.
▪ Free speech is a fundamental Canadian value; All Canadians should be free to believe/not believe whatsoever they choose and speak out for or against their convictions.
▪ Note: This is a motion and not a bill. If passed, this motion will not directly lead to a law prohibiting speech criticizing Islam.
Click here to find your MP by postal code now.
Please also contact the Prime Minister's office and Rona Ambrose.
Click here to go to an on-line e-mail form for the Prime Minister.
PM Justin Trudeau's Office Contact Info:
Hill Office: Telephone: 613-995-0253 // Fax: 613-947-0310
Constituency Office: Telephone: 514-277-6020 // Fax: 514-277-3454
Rona Ambrose's Contact Info:
Hill Office: Telephone: 613-996-9778 // Fax: 613-996-0785
Constituency Office: Telephone: 1-844-809-6411 // Fax: 780-823-2055
Canadians like values and dislike M103
'Kill her and be done with it': MP behind anti-Islamophobia motion reads out hate mail