The Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights is set to begin conducting an in-depth study on Bill C-14, the proposed legislation on assisted suicide, this Monday, May 2nd. This committee is chaired by MP Anthony Housefather, one of the targets of MYC's MP-Calling Campaign.
THE COMMITTEE WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU
The committee is inviting the public (YOU!) to write a brief report on the subject of Bill C-14 and submit it by this Monday, May 2nd. It is late notice, but we have only been made aware of this opportunity now.
This is your chance to formally present your opposition to assisted suicide to those who have the power to make amendments to the proposed legislation. Please try to make some time this weekend to take advantage of this opportunity.
YOUR REPORT MUST:
▪ be a written submission of no more than three (3) pages (approx. 750 words),
▪ confine itself to any proposed recommendations for changes to the text of Bill C-14, and
▪ be received no later than Monday May 2, 2016 at 5pm.
KEY POINTS TO ARGUE:
In your writing, please ask the committee to:
▪ Argue for complete prohibition of assisted suicide. (It is still possible to do. See ARPA resource below.)
▪ Uphold that C-14 does not allow assisted suicide for those with mental illness or for "mature minors"
▪ Protect chartered rights by clearly stating that no doctor or institution will be forced to participate
▪ Make palliative care access mandatory in law
▪ Ensure independent third-party review before all proposed deaths
▪ Clearly specify who applies for assisted suicide (terminal only, define "reasonably forseeable") and who may assist (doctors only)
Sample Report from ARPA Canada (ARPA has welcomed us to use this brief to help us with our own, including quoting liberally from it.)
Alex Schadenberg: Euthanasia Bill C-14 provides a perfect cover for murder.
Physicians Alliance Against Euthanasia: The federal government provides exemptions for murder, aiding suicide and administering poison
Dr. Will Johnston: The Deadly Problems Surrounding Bill C-14.
Charles Lewis: Resist falling prey to a system of legalized murder.
Andrew Coyne: Assisted suicide makes us all complicit in another’s death.
PLEASE PRAY DURING PUBLIC HEARINGS
The Committee will be holding public hearings to study C-14 between Monday May 2nd and Thursday May 5th. Thankfully, some of our pro-life friends have been invited to present before the committee including Euthanasia Prevention Coalition and the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada.
The most important weapon we have in this battle is prayer. Please be in prayer over this committee and the presentations in the week ahead and particularly during the committee meetings. So far we know of the following meeting times:
- Monday, May 2nd: 4:00pm-8:30pm
- Tuesday, May 3rd: 8:45am-10:45am
We cannot let this opportunity pass us by! Thank you for taking the time.