Bill C-14 is Approved by House and Senate and Receives Royal Assent: Becomes Law
Tragically, the Government’s Bill C-14 received Royal Assent and became Canada’s new law on physician-assisted suicide on Friday, June 17th. Competent Canadians who are at least 18 years of age and have a "grievous and irremediable medical condition" may legally obtain the assistance of a doctor or nurse to end their own lives.
Click HERE to see who qualifies for assisted suicide in Canada
Click here to see how your MP voted on C-14
The House of Commons refused to include a key Senate recommendation to expand access to those for whom death has not become "reasonably foreseeable”. This particular amendment would have opened the door for many more assisted suicide deaths in Canada.
But there is nothing good about Bill C-14. Alex Schadenberg of the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition defines Bill C-14 as "the most wide-open bill in the world," and "even worse than the Belgian law," since "no [other] jurisdiction in the world offers legal immunity to anyone who does anything for the purposes of assisting death."
'Thank You' for Standing for Life
Many times throughout the past months, we challenged you and ourselves by asking, "when all is said and done and the assisted suicide legislation is finalized, will we be satisfied that we have done all we can to stop the killing of innocent Canadians?"
For so many of you, the answer is yes! Together with your help:
▪ We sent 45,000 postcards and thousands of e-mails to MPs and Senators asking them to vote against assisted suicide
▪ We mobilized hundreds of churches to attend a rally on Parliament Hill.
▪ 128 amazing individuals committed to calling MP and Senator offices every single week for more than two months!
▪ And many of us utilized the powerful tool of fasting one day per week as this issue was being debated in Parliament.
THANK YOU so much to those of you who worked hard with us to resist this legislation by praying, fasting, giving, and contacting MPs and Senators. We believe heaven sees and will reward every righteous action you have taken.
The War is Not Over!
The battle may be lost but the war is far from over. Please continue to fight assisted suicide by doing the following:
1) Talk about assisted suicide and Bill C-14:
Please continue to share your stance and all you've learned about assisted suicide with those around you. To influence one person for life ultimately influences their entire spheres as well. This is how we change a nation; One person at a time!
2) Please continue to pray that Canadians would embrace a culture of life instead of death. Pray for a revival of healing and hope from coast to coast so that people would choose life and not death - even if it is available to them! And please pray for our leaders daily.
3) May each of us commit to making the disabled, elderly and suffering feel the love of Christ; so valued and loved by us that they would want to live and not die. Let us pray and work to support compassionate care and pain management for those who are suffering or in the final stages of life.
This disappointing moment only strengthens our resolve to fight for Canada!
We are resolute in our determination to be a voice for moral clarity in this nation. Thank you for continuing to partner with us in this goal.