I'm writing because we need your help to seize a golden opportunity to pick up the California State Senate seat vacated by Abel Maldona
I'm writing because we need your help to seize a golden opportunity to pick up the California State Senate seat vacated by Abel Maldonado when he was confirmed as Lt. Governor, leaving us only one seat away from a 2/3 Democratic majority in the State Senate.
Democrat and former Assemblymember John Laird needs your help to Get Out The Vote for Tuesday's Election.
In this Special Election, If a candidate can get 50%+1 of the vote, that candidate wins and we avoid a run off. If no candidate reaches 50%+1, we go into a runoff election on 8/17.
▪ Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger scheduled this Special Election to conveniently suppress voter turnout, giving an advantage to the Republican opponent.
▪ Permanent absentee ballots and voter information guides were mailed to the voters 2 weeks ago, but many people mistook the materials for duplicates from the June 8th primary election.
▪ It is projected to be an extremely low turnout election, so it is all about the ground game of getting our voters to the polls.
California's Senate District 15 includes parts or all of five counties: Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Luis Obispo and San Benito.
BUT... we need volunteers all over California to help us Get Out the Vote!
Can We Count on YOU?!
Please forward this information far and wide.
In this email, you can click the links below to jump to each section or simply scroll through and read.
If the images below do not appear or the formatting appears "funny" - don't fret - you can view a web version of this email at: http://mim.io/f2d44
This Race Matters To All of Us
A victory for former Assemblymember John Laird is a victory for all Californians. The last time California passed a balanced and on-time budget was when John Laird was Chair of the Budget Committee. At this time of fiscal crisis, we need legislators like John Laird representing us and our interests in Sacramento.
Oh yeah, did we mention ...
If Mr. Laird is victorious, we are only one seat away from a 2/3s Democratic majority in the State Senate!
Which we all know would curtail California's current budget shenanigans and allow California legislators to focus on the difficult task of saving our state from financial ruin.
So that's why WE NEED EVERY CALIFORNIAN who has lost their job, been furloughed, lost their home or their health insurance as a result of California's "fiscal crisis" to rise up together and fight back.
All of California's working families have suffered in these recent hard times -- if you have friends and loved ones who have been impacted by California's budget crisis PLEASE take some time during the next 6 days to pave the way to a new and brighter future for California families.
Take an hour and make calls from home
Take an afternoon and drop literature for voters
Take a day and change California's prospects for the future
Yes, It's THAT IMPORTANT!!
Help Get Out the Vote - 6 days left
Join us - you can help by knocking on doors, making calls, checking polls, and helping us in the offices.
In addition to the activities at our campaign headquarters, we have field offices in Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Luis Obispo and San Benito counties. Click here for your local office.
▪ You will be connected to a page that is titled: PDI Online Phone Bank.
▪ Select “I am a new caller”
▪ Provide your information in the boxes that appear below. Be sure to choose a username that you will recognize in the drop down menu when you return.
▪ If the system asks you for a password, type in the following: 7C7D8232
Make the Calls:
▪ You will see the name & phone number of the people you are calling along with party affiliation, age, and gender.
▪ During the call, follow the full script below the person’s information.
▪ Once you have finished your fist call, check the appropriate box under “Data Views” next to the person’s name.
▪ After checking the appropriate box, click the “Continue/Save Information” button
▪ The system will provide you with your next phone number.
This is a pared down script as an example (just the main questions we will be asking - the script you will use for your calls has more detailed responses you can use during your conversations.
My name is_____________________________. I'm a volunteer for John Laird who is running for State Senate District 15. Did you know we have a Special Election on June 22?
Can I put you down as a yes vote for John Laird on June 22?
* If Yes
▪ Can we bring a sign to place in your yard?
▪ Would you like to volunteer at the headquarters?
More Information about the Race
In this race, John Laird is facing attacks from his chief opponent, Sam Blakeslee, a Republican Assemblymember who sponsored failed legislation to lift the ban on off-shore drilling along the California coast. Before being elected to the California State Assembly, Blakeslee was a geophysicist for Exxon in the Borehole Drilling division. His campaign is mostly funded by oil companies and their employees.
I am running for State Senate because our state is in crisis. Our schools have slipped to 47th in the nation in per pupil funding and our state parks are being shuttered. The legislative gridlock over the budget has paralyzed our state government and become a national embarrassment. The people of California have lost confidence in our government - and our state - and rightfully so.
As an educator, former Mayor, Community College Trustee and Assembly Member, I have seen first-hand how this gridlock has impacted Californians. Budget cuts are crippling local governments, schools and our economy are in trouble. I'll fight to change Sacramento by working to end gridlock and sticking to my principles.
I have my views and principles - and I'll fight hard for them - but I know Sacramento must work in a bipartisan way to get anything done. One of my proudest accomplishments during my time in the Assembly was earning the respect and friendship of many players who normally agree on nothing.
We need more state officials willing to do what is right to get things done. I have the experience, ideas and motivation to change the way Sacramento does business.