THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HURT THE BODY IS TO NOT USE IT. INACTIVITY IS THE KILLER, AND REMEMBER, IT IS NOT TOO LATE. JACK LALANNE As you read this, yo
The only way you can hurt the body is to not use it. Inactivity is the killer, and remember, it is not too late. Jack Lalanne
My son Jonathan and me
Sledding with my grandson and nephews
As you read this, you may be looking out your window at a heap of snow. To the delight of most school children, this has been a great year for snow days! Over the recent holidays, our family had the opportunity to enjoy some sledding, downhill and Nordic skiing. We had a blast! I remember one particular moment, after a long sled ride to the bottom of a steep ravine, snow gently falling, a forest of leafless trees standing sentry to our fun. My breath coming out in a fog, the stillness of nature, the shouts of my nephews. SNOW. I felt very present. And for a moment, I felt like I was 10 years old again, feeling how much FUN it was to MOVE and the sheer EXHILARATION of being alive!
I believe we were MADE to MOVE, and when we do, we connect to something very deep, very primal within ourselves. When we MOVE we become our best selves. We become childlike again. We become ageless.
One of the reasons I am so motivated to stay active, is that I very much want to be a participant in life. I don't want to be a spectator, on the side watching everyone else have fun. I want to be able, at a moment's notice, to sled down a hill, skate on a pond, play in the snow. I am so inspired by people like Jack Lalanne, who proved to us that getting older does not have to mean getting decrepit. Moving is a use it or lose it proposition. The more you move, the more you can move.
So get out and MOVE. MOVE to stay mobile. MOVE to stay connected. MOVE to play. MOVE to be a participant. But mostly, MOVE FOR THE JOY OF IT.
Moving really does a body good.
Next Kitchen Nutrition Class: Get The Sugar Out! (Let The Sanity In)
Cravings out of control? Mood all over the place? Foggy thinking ? Skin breaking out like you are 14 again? Weight not budging? Tired of being tired all the time?
Then SUGAR could be your problem. Most people have no idea that underneath their tired, moody, unmotivated self is a vibrant, happy person. That's because most people have no idea what their personality is like off sugar.
Sugar acts like a drug in our body. And we are a nation of addicts.
WHAT: KITCHEN NUTRITION—a unique kind of cooking class that combines nutrition plus EASY, QUICK recipes WHEN: Thursday, February 10, 2011 TIME: 7:00-8:30 pm WHERE: Dinner at Your Door Commercial Kitchen:
841 Wabash Avenue, Belleville, IL (Hwy 177 and Wabash)
WHO: The Average American who eats about a half pound of sugar a day.
Learn how to:
* Identify stealth sugar
* choose healthy, natural sweeteners
* be an expert label reader
* satisfy your sweet tooth sensibly
* get sugar cravings under control
* have gorgeous skin and lose weight!
INVESTMENT IN YOUR HEALTH:
$25 per person advance payment; $30 at the door
Includes cooking class, handouts and recipes, samples of all dishes.
Join us for a fun night out! Inspiration guaranteed!
Our Most Popular Class, This is Filling Up Fast!
IF YOU ONLY MAKE ONE CLASS, THIS IS IT!
Call Eileen 618-580-3771 today! You must reserve and pay for a spot in advance.
Check out the nice article Maureen Houston wrote about our cooking class recently!
1. Get to bed between 10 and 11 pm most nights. Studies have proven this is the optimal hour, as it honors the body's natural circadium rhythm, promotes REM sleep, and optimal hormone production of leptin, the hormone that signals satiety. 2. Have a high protein breakfast. An egg, veggie, sharp cheese scramble is a snap to make, and very low sugar. 3. Keep caffeine intake to 1 cup per day. Caffeine elevates blood sugar, causing the cravings for the donut to go with the coffee. 4. Dump the artificial sweetener. The body is not fooled at all, and when you tell it to expect sugar and give it a bunch of chemicals instead, you will crave sugar with a vengeance. 5. Get rid of the whites: white flour, white sugar, white pasta, white bread, white rice. These turn into sugar very quickly in your body. 6. Read labels. Divide sugar grams by 4 to convert into teaspoons. Do you really want 7 teaspoons of sugar in your yogurt? 7. Come to my Get The Sugar Out Class. 8. Do a Sugar Cleanse (below).
Missed the boat on the Sugar Cleanse? Here's another opportunity.
You've asked me to do this again, so I'm going to go one more round this year. This cleanse has been a BIG breakthrough for folks. Cleanse begins on Tuesday, Feb 15, 2011. Initial group weigh in, Thursday, Feb. 10, 2011 after cooking class.
Tired of being a big, blue Cookie Monster? Want to detox after eating that entire pound of Fannie Maes? Are you ready for clearer skin, looser clothes and a palate that doesn’t constantly crave sweets and junk food? Then our Group Sugar Cleanse may be just what you are needing!
A few testimonies from our current cleansers (currently beginning week three):
▪ I am more determined to watch my eating habits and include activity in my day. I am amazed at the flavor in Kale, Ezekiel bread and white Cheddar cheese. This is exactly what I have been searching for..a game plan for healthy eating. I think I have lost 8 lbs...WOW..............Mary Jo
▪ Well, it is day 10 for me and I am feeling pretty darn good. I am still in shock that I have stuck to this 100% thus far. I am the Queen of ALL weight loss programs, in starting and failing them….. I think the difference for me this time is really concentrating on the “cleanse” aspect, with eating “clean” foods only and with that, complementing the cleanse, with a renewed commitment to working out. Before I concentrated WAY TOO MUCH on the numbers on the scale……...............................Tracy
▪ First couple days were rough but after that it’s been surprisingly easy. Since starting the cleanse my weight has steadily been going down. My energy level is up and overall I feel great. I think the key is to plan ahead and focus on what you CAN eat instead of what you can't!............Dr. Jerry
Go HERE to get more information. Grab a friend and sign up!
Real Food, Real Fast
World's Best Chicken Soup by John Vollmer
This soup is sure to cure what ails you! It’s a delicate balance of chicken, vegetables, and rice. By using organic liquid chicken stock and pre-cooked chicken and rice, this soup will be ready in less than 10 minutes. The Miso, added at the end, provides a very full-bodied flavor and is great for your digestion – the Japanese wouldn’t have it any other way. The seaweed, although optional, brings an exotic touch to an already great soup!
This is the soup we beg John to make when we even have a smidge of achiness!
2 TBS Grapeseed oil
1 Medium Onion – Chopped
2 Cloves Fresh Garlic – Minced
5 Medium Mushrooms - Chopped
1 Large Carrot – Chopped
1 Large Celery Stalk – Chopped
1 Box Organic Liquid Chicken Stock (about 2 cups)
1 Large Chicken Breast – Broiled/Grilled – cut into ½ inch pieces
2-3 Large Handfuls of Raw Baby Spinach(or Kale)
1 Cup Brown Rice – pre-cooked
½ Sheet of Dried Seaweed torn into one-inch squares (optional)
1 Heaping Tablespoon Fresh Brown Rice Miso
Season to taste w/red pepper flakes if desired
Heat cooking oil in four-quart saucepan over medium-high heat
Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes
Add carrot and celery and sauté for another 2 minutes
Add chicken stock and chicken breast, bring temperature to just under a boil
Add spinach, rice and seaweed, let simmer for 2 minutes
Remove pan from heat
Add Miso and stir in until it dissolves completely
Add Seasoning as required – we recommend Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning
Serves 3-4 depending on serving size. Double all ingredients to serve 6-8. Reheat, but don’t boil – it hurts the Miso.
TIP: for soup in a snap, get out your George Foreman grill, and grill the chicken in 6 minutes (while you are cooking the veggies!) We also always have frozen brown rice in the freezer (Trader Joes) or a big batch premade in the fridge.
Really, What Are You Waiting For?
You have a vision of where you want to be; I can help you one step at a time.
I'm here to help! Having support and accountability makes all the difference in the world. Don't go it alone this year. You are not SUPER woman or man. You are supporting many others, my question is, WHO IS SUPPORTING YOU?
If you've been wanting to transform your health, your happiness, your life, then give me a call for a free 20 minute consult to see if working with a nutrition and coaching professional is right for you.
Make an investment in YOU. You are worth it.
Next Kitchen Nutrition Class: Eat Fat, Lose Weight! March 10, 2011 7-8:30 pm
Eileen Vollmer is a Certified Holistic Health Coach. She is the owner of Real Health Nutrition, a nutritional coaching service dedicated to helping clients reach their health and weight goals through incremental, lifestyle changes. Eileen firmly believes that Real Health Begins with Real Food, so it is her mission to help her clients eat more real food and less chemical-laden, artificial, junk food. She has found that a personal approach to wellness provides support and accountability, which makes all the difference in her client's success. Make your health a priority! Call 618-580-3771; or visit www.eileenvollmer.com TODAY!
I'm a big believer in getting what you want in life. If your inbox is overflowing, or this newsletter no longer serves your purpose, you can easily unsubscribe at the bottom. You won't hurt my feelings and I would be honored to serve you in the future, should circumstances change.