Q & A: Steve Weymer, CEO Water Resources Group, LLC
What motivated you to start Icebox?
Having been in the business of producing private label products for over a decade, when we decided to launch our own brand, we wanted to provide an alternative to the plastic bottle, and the multitude of problems associated with this item.
Is this a container company or a water company, or both?
We are a water company that is utilizing a novel eco-friendly packaging for a most familiar product.
Please describe your product(s). Where do you get your water?
Our product is ultra-premium glacier fed spring water imported from Norway. We have three sizes, ½ liter, 1 liter and 5 liter, all packaged in eco-friendly cardboard cartons.
How do you determine pricing? Are you marketing to a wholesale or retail client?
Ultra Premium Import Water at a competitive price – We are the ‘green’ alternative and we market to retail but deliver through distributors. We are priced with other imports, Evian, FiJi, Pelligrino, Perrier, Volvic, Ty Nant.
What stage is the company in and what are your future plans, (3-5 years out)?
We are an early stage company, national distribution and retail placement, definitely no longer a start up with a few years in development and product roll out now completing its first year. The consumer response has been fantastic . Consumers want to particpate in the green movement but do not know quite how – we offer them a simple opportunity to change their purchasing habits without sacrificing quality . Having said this, we believe that our growth curve will be exponential with proper funding. *For more information about funding opportunities please email Daryl Dworkin
How does your product help the environment?
We primarily use a sustainable resource for our packaging – completely re-cyclable with the majority of the packaging being bio-degradable. So, little or no use of petroleum products.
We can ship more product in less space – this means lees fuel consumed in transport –
Our carbon footprint, inclusive of ocean freight, is still only 20% of the carbon emissions form a similar sized plastic bottle (or 80% smaller carbon footprint).
Advantages of icebox water-in-a-box: Pressed-paper cartons are based on the concept of source reduction. They use minimal material and energy to produce and distribute thus resulting in minimal waste and fuel emissions at the end of the product life cycle.
· 100% RECYCLABLE
· SUSTAINABLE - Cartons are made almost entirely of paper, which comes form wood, a renewable resource.
· No PET, means no potential for plastic leaching…No health threat.
· Cap is poly-ethylene – a fully recyclable, non leeching material which is used in IV solution bags - presents no health threats.
· This reduces the use of traditional petroleum based bottles which in turn reduces the use of petroleum.
· These cartons are printed with water-based solvent-free printing inks, making them acceptable to re-cycle – No Wax coating.
· The cartons reduce the amount of refuse into the landfill by 97% - Squash and Recycle – simple enough!!!
· Less packaging , more product which translates into less energy used in transportation and more efficient storage.
· CARBON FOOTPRINT is only 24% of the Carbon Footprint of a comparable plastic bottle (76% less).
All retailers want to be perceived as actively addressing the environmental issue confronting us all – Their customers demand it, and they want to offer alternatives to the traditional packaging, especially in the area most severely attacked as the ‘epitome of excess’, the single serve water bottle of which 80 billion are produced in the USA, 80+% ending up in the landfill
The benefits are 1) not worrying about potential health threats from drinking from a plastic bottle, 2) not being part of the problem of wadsting a non-renewable resource, and 3) no longer contributing to the mountain of waste from sigle serve beverage containers.
Thank you, and if you would like to sample our product please contact Doug Shindler.
Doug's company: Tiki-Hut Coffee.com , is one of the exclusive distributers of our Icebox product. In addition to Icebox, Tiki-hut offers a plethora of beverages and coffee products to wholesale and retail customers alike.